Thursday, July 6, 2017

Hamilton, I don't have the words...


I (along with wife and two of the boys) went to see Hamilton in Chicago a couple weeks ago.  I've wanted to blog about it for a while but my words can't do it justice.  Each time I would get started I found my words just couldn't describe the experience. Our Founding Fathers were amazing, genius, brave, courageous and after reading Lin-Manuel Miranda and Jeremy McCarter's Hamilton: The Revolution I got to see just how those same words can describe these modern day "founders."   It was an amazing show. I've been mowing my yard and taking my daily walks with the tunes from the soundtrack blasting in my ears. My interest in history has been renewed - because of the Hamilton phenomena I've seen the musical, read Ron Chernow's Hamilton, read Hamilton: The Revolution, and a witty book called Lafayette in the Somewhat United States by Sarah Vowell. (She is a very funny author who has a unique view of history.) Chernow's nearly 1,000 page book about Washington is now begging to be read. I'm not sure I would have taken the plunge back into our American history without catching the Hamilton bug.  Maybe I was able to find the words after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment