Monday, February 22, 2016

Read the book, saw the movie


Well, that statement "the book was better" once again played out as I finally got the chance to see the movie "The Big Short."  The movie was excellent.  In fact I had no idea how the directors/producers would be able to pull off the story told by Michael Lewis in his book "The Big Short."  The book is amazing. It helped me understand the great economic crash of 2007-2008 a little better.  The book lays it out in detail helping those of us who are not economist understand the crash.  Lewis is a tremendous author and some can probably recall his book "The Blind Side" which ended up being turned into a movie.  Once again "the book was better."  "Blind Side" was an excellent movie but it was a little too Disneyish. Lewis is an incredible author who has the ability to tell a story and weave in the interesting tale of the characters involved.

I did like "The Big Short." It was an excellent movie. The characters were superbly cast.  Steve Carell is amazing.  He plays a hedge fund manager who is witty, funny, and smart - while also being an incredible businessman.  After watching Carell's antics in The Office - I thought I would have a hard time displacing those memories but it was easy as he captivates on screen in this movie.  The movie is packed with superstars - Carell, Christian Bale, Ryan Gosling, and Brad Pitt headline the characters involved in the scheming and investment craps game that pays off handsomely for some while the American financial market crashed.

You should see the movie.  In the end though it will leave you with a sinking feeling in your stomach because you'll see first hand how our government bailed out these big banks only to see them go right back to their scheming ways.  I would recommend reading anything Michael Lewis writes.  He is an outstanding author. 

1 comment:

  1. Nice blog post, DC! I agree that Michael Lewis is a very talented and respectable author. I'm a big fan of The Blind Side (it was cool to see Michael Oher play in Super Bowl 50!) and Moneyball, too -- although I have to admit I have only seen the films. It sounds like I need to step up my game and pick up more of his novels.

    ReplyDelete