Thursday, October 10, 2013

Underdogs Unite, Gladwell pens another masterpiece

Many of you probably read Malcolm Gladwell's amazing book Outliers.  Now in his own unique fashion comes the release of David and Goliath, Underdogs, Misfits, and the Art of Battling Giants.  Right from the beginning the reader gets a new take history's biggest underdog story, the story of David and Goliath.  Gladwell takes an unconventional look at the "underdog" David and how this nimble shepherd from humble beginnings was a force to reckon with.
We all know that underdogs can win–that’s what the David versus Goliath legend tells us, and we’ve seen it with our own eyes. Or have we? In David and Goliath, Malcolm Gladwell, with his unparalleled ability to grasp connections others miss, uncovers the hidden rules that shape the balance between the weak and the mighty, the powerful and the dispossessed. Gladwell examines the battlefields of Northern Ireland and Vietnam, takes us into the minds of cancer researchers and civil rights leaders, and digs into the dynamics of successful and unsuccessful classrooms–all in an attempt to demonstrate how fundamentally we misunderstand the true meaning of advantages and disadvantages. When is a traumatic childhood a good thing? When does a disability leave someone better off? Do you really want your child to go to the best school he or she can get into? Why are the childhoods of people at the top of one profession after another marked by deprivation and struggle?
 
I could ramble on forever about this book.  I started reading it in the evenings and these incredible stories of successful men and women who overcame their disadvantages to become trendsetters, rebels, and conquerors kept me awake at night. I couldn't put the book down and now I can't stop telling people about the lessons I learned.  If you read Outliers then you know what I'm talking about when I say Malcolm Gladwell style - you'll have to read it but you probably already have some idea of what I'm talking about.   Just hours after I finished reading the book someone forwarded me a great interview with Gladwell about how, through writing this book, Gladwell rediscovered his faith in a book that from page to the very end is entrenched in faith as its' foundation. 
 
I’ve had a different journey. I had drifted away a little bit. This book has brought me back into the fold. I was so incredibly struck in writing these stories by the incredible power faith had in people’s lives, it has made a profound impact on me in my belief. That’s been the completely unexpected effect of writing this book. I am in the process of rediscovering my own faith again. 
 
http://www.amazon.com/David-Goliath-Underdogs-Misfits-Battling/dp/0316204366/ref=sr_sp-atf_title_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1381407750&sr=8-1&keywords=david+and+goliath+malcolm+gladwell
 

No comments:

Post a Comment